Monday 25 October 2010

Happy Hallowe'en!

It's that time of year again! HALLOWE'EN! Yaaaaay!
I love Hallowe'en and always have. As a child I was painfully shy. I didn't like strangers. I didn't like people to look at me. I didn't like to leave my Mum and Dad's sides.......Except on Hallowe'en! I loved, for some reason, dressing up all scary. I loved bobbing for apples. I loved carving pumpkins. And I still do!
I looked forward to it with the same level of excitement s I did Christmas.... and you don't even get presents at Hallowe'en! My Dad would take me and my brother and all our neighbours out Trick or Treating. We'd all dress up and have those horrid stinky masks and a pumpkin. He'd call us the blackhand gang and take us to people we knew in the neighbourhood (I think trick or treating strangers is a bit weird!) who would give us 50p or little sweets.
After this we'd go back home and my Mum would have made food and we'd have a little Hallowe'en party! It was the most fun!
So this year, the same as last year, I have booked the whole week off work to fully appreciate the Autumnal goodness. I will carve my pumpkin early and make some tasty food with it! I will wear my new Hallwe'en brooch all week! I will watch lots of horror films!
A pre-cursor to Hallowe'en that I feel I should mention (and linking directly to my picture above) I went to a horror film festival at the weekend that was excellent and highly recommended.
http://www.celluloidscreams.co.uk/ Go here for details about the festival (which sadly you'll have missed but you can go next year!) and other events that are on throughout the year which I promise to make more of an effort to attend! (The films are always on late on a Friday and I have to get up early on Saturday. Plus, I'm a big baby that needs its sleep!)
Coming to the picture..... This is a still from City of the Living Dead staring Catriona MacColl. the film was shown on Saturday night at the festival and was followed by a Q&A with the star! It was amazing to see this film on the big screen surrounded by the audience and was a totally different experience to watching it at home! Catriona MacColl was very gracious and insightful with lots to say about the film, the genre and the era.
Most of those that attended the festival were really lovely friendly people and it was nice to go somewhere where you have a shared interest and can just have a chat to a total stranger.
What a good start to my Hallowe'en week!

1 comment: